I love music. I have a vast colllection that I have bought, borrowed and pirated / had pirated for me!
This post is based on a Facebook challenge to name 12 albums that have stayed the distance over time. That is hard for me personally, as there are too many to mention… But, here goes… in no particular order:
1. Adam and the Ants – Kings of the Wild Frontier (this was the first album I ever bought) *or* UB40 – Signing Off (The first band / proper gig I ever went to. And the second album I ever bought. Don’t judge me!)
2. Depeche Mode – Violator
3. The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead
4. Pixies – Doolittle / Surfer Rosa (Can’t choose… Don’t make me!)
5. Kraftwerk – Computer World
6. Chemical Brothers – Surrender
7. Cocteau Twins – Treasure / Heaven or Las Vegas (Again, I can’t choose… Don’t make me!)
8. Basement Jaxx – Remedy
9. The Beloved – Happiness
10. New Order – Substance
11. Leftfield – Leftism
12. Morrissey – Viva Hate
Actually, scrap No.9 and put The Specials -The Specials in there instead! ‘Gangsters’ was my first single that I bought so that rightfully deserves to be up there!
Oh, I totally forgot… Frankie Goes To Hollywood – Welcome To The Pleasuredome. I actually bunked off school to buy it from Virgin Megastore on Oxford Street, London on the day of release. So, what number does this one take now…?
So that’s me. What’s your choice?